This is a test wiki that runs on the MediaWiki software. Ordinarily it runs the same version of the code as mediawiki.org (plus other wikis in "group 0"), but may be configured differently with experimental features. The contents of this site may be volatile and buggy.
Please note: there is a new test cluster created as a replacement for prototype.wikimedia available here. It is a clone of all production wikis, where developers and regular users can test new features before we deploy them to production wiki. In case yont to test gadgets or user scripts on any Wikimedia project, you can also use that site. test.wikipedia.org is not for testing of unreviewed software or MediaWiki, it is a last place where software is deployed before it goes to live production. New software, extensions and gadgets can be deployed immediately to the deployment cluster.
Please read before contributing here
The Wikipedia Test Wiki is not:
- A place to put content or anything meaningful
- An area to play with administrator's tools. If you are looking for that, see Wikipedia:Requests/Tools.
- Where nonsense articles will stick
- A web host, wiki host, or files (video, image, etc.) host
- Where you can get away with everything
- Where libel will be tolerated
- A community
The Wikipedia Test Wiki is for developers to test their code without breaking all of Wikimedia and blowing up the world.
The Wikipedia Test Wiki may also be used in a classroom environment for teaching basic wiki editing to avoid the great confusion resulting from creating pages and breaking a regular project, although this may not always be desirable because of the occasional difference between the test interface and a typical Wikimedia project interface.
Administrators are editors who have the extra ability to:
- Block and unblock other users
- Delete and undelete pages on the site
- Protect and unprotect pages
- Edit pages in the MediaWiki namespace (e.g., MediaWiki:Sidebar)
- View deleted edits of a page
- View any contributions by a user to pages which are deleted.
For a list of all Administrators on Test Wikipedia, see Special:ListUsers/sysop.
Becoming an administrator
- Be active and trusted on other projects and preferably be a sysop elsewhere, or
- Demonstrate a need for the access (e.g. developers).
Bureaucrats of Test Wiki are simply editors who are able to:
- Grant and revoke administrator rights,
- Grant bureaucrat rights (revocation of bureaucrat rights is done at Meta-Wiki), and
- Flag and unflag bot accounts
To become a bureaucrat, one must first be an administrator (details). For a full list of bureaucrats on Test Wikipedia, see Special:ListUsers/bureaucrat. Please do not ask bureaucrats for rights directly on their talk page unless you've previously interacted with them.