Yamaji kite naniyara yukashi sumire-gusa. -- Basho
- We come through a mountain path;
- Here, atmosphere attracts me, though I know no reason --
- Ô, a violet!
Hello, my real name is Florence Nibart-Devouard. I have been around since late 2001. I served as the chair of the Board of Trustees of Wikimedia Foundation until July 2008. I co funded Wikimedia France and was its vice-chair for a while. Disclaimers
As of October 2015, I work at the Research:Wikipedia Primary School SSAJRP programme on behalf of SUPSI.
- If you want to get involved in our project, please contact me right away! Leave a message in my talk page or send an email.
- Check the progress: see Research:Wikipedia Primary School SSAJRP programme/Wikipedia, the project page at the English Wikipedia or the timeline here.
To contact me
- English user page : w:en:User:Anthere
- Page utilisateur en français : w:fr:Utilisateur:Anthere
- Blog : http://anthere.org/
- Site : http://www.devouard.com
I was born in Versailles (France). I grew up in Grenoble, and have been living since then in several French cities, as well as Antwerpen in Belgium and Tempe in Arizona.
I am an engineer in Agronomy (ENSAIA and also hold a DEA in Genetics and biotechnologies (INPL). I have spent a while in public research (INRA), working in flower plant genetic improvement, later in applied research, in microbiology, to study the feasibility of heavily polluted soil bioremediation. I spent some time in Tempe University (Arizona), following courses in computer science and civil engineering.
After a break to take care of my first two kids, I joined a small french firm, Quantix Agro, whose activity was related with decision tools, in finances, insurance, agriculture and agri-business. My part was in the agri-business, and I mostly worked to conceive decision-making tools in w:en:sustainable agriculture.
Unfortunately, my firm had to stop activity at the end of 2005.
As of late 2015, I am 47, and live in Marseille with my husband Bertrand and my three children, William (19), Anne-Gaëlle (17) and Thomas (9). A few (rather old) picts. My kids are sometimes featured in some wikimedia projects. The last one is hidden somewhere in the Wikibooks on photography.
I discovered Wikipedia late 2001 and have been an editor since February 2002. I first started editing only the english wikipedia anonymously, then under the pseudonym Anthere ('What is an anther ?), then joined the french wikipedia when it had possibly 200 stubs. In english, I mostly focused in editing, while in the French Wikipedia, I also took a lot of time building the project and the community. At that time, all international wikipedias were very small and not even on the same software than the english one. Most of my edits were in the following areas : agriculture, environment, ecology...I listed them here for a while (then gave up...). I also enjoyed writing on more "touchy" issues, such as the Iraq war, the veil in France or commercial war over GMOs...
In summer 2002, I decided that this project HAD TO BE multilingual... and that I would help make that happen... so I joined the mailing list (wikipedia-l at that time) and started editing a no man's land called meta meta in order to help this to happen. Since then, I have not quit trying to take care of all projects and all languages.
In 2004, I joined the founding mediation commitee on the english wikipedia and wrote quite a lot of things about mediation and conflict resolution, one of those being w:en:Wikipedia:civility.
A sysop on meta, en:wikipedia, fr:wikipedia and commons, a bureaucrat on fr.wiki, I have been a steward for over four years.
A big contribution on the project for four years has been as a board member and vice-chair, then chair of Wikimedia Foundation Inc. In itself, it has used a lot of my time, more than I ever gave in the nearly 14 years I have been around. A lot of it is invisible, a lot of it is terribly frustrating, but eh ! I resisted 4 years! In october 2004, I also became a founding member of the french association board (Wikimedia France). Finally, in october 2006, I became Wikimedia Foundation chair, with the difficult goal of succeeding the foundator of Wikipedia, Jimbo Wales in that activity.
On the day I decided not to run again for a 5th year on the board of Wikimedia Foundation, in May 2008, I received a letter from Pdt Sarkozy, who informed me he had proposed me to be made knight in the French National Order of Merit. Soon before Christmas, I was pleased to officially receive the medal from the hands of Mr Besson.
What I love to do best? Talk to people (sometimes quite hotly I confess. I love arguing), meet new people, act like a bridge between languages and projects and organise things. I am the author of the little image Wikithanks... and I am totally totally delighted to see how much it spread all around. Look . When spirits run low, I go look at the little sunflower picture and think about what we are doing. Eh, I also co-authored the Mediawiki Logo with Erik Moeller :)
Late 2012, I decided it was time to move on and resigned from the board of Wikimedia France (I stay a member of the chapter !). My focus since then has been diversity (or lack there of...). I co-created projects with Isla Haddow Flood (a woman living in Cap Town) with the explicit goal of getting more African editors and more African-related content onto Wikimedia project.
In the past three years, we worked together on
- Kumusha Takes Wiki (2013-2015), community journalism and capacity building in Ivory Coast and Uganda,
- Wiki Loves Africa (2014, 2015 and 2016), photographic contest, all Africa
- Wiki Loves Women (2016), a GLAM and capacity building project in Ghana, Nigeria, Côte d'Ivoire and Cameroon
- WikiFundi (2016), a software solution to create Wikipedia articles offline
- Wikipack Africa (2016-2017), an action pack including WikiFundi and many resources
I also work for the Research:Wikipedia Primary School SSAJRP programme (2015-2017) at SUPSI (applied research on Primary School curricula in South Africa).
Actually, it was pretty exciting to answer my first interviews and even more exciting to see my name cited. Not to mention pictures being published. Maybe it is routine now ? But I do not really report published articles any more....expect when it raises a special warm memory. In my "press" memories, I think the greatest moment was when we first got a BIG article in Le Monde. I started sending press releases to Le Monde in 2002. With no resultats whatsoever... till they finally contacted us in fall 2005. It really felt enormous. Since then, many articles have been written about us, some good, some terribly bad. It has indeed become a sort of routine. I will nevertheless keep that list as well as all the issues sent to me by snail mails. Maybe to show the kids later ;-).
- + "כדי לתפעל את ויקיפדיה צריך 8 מיליון דולר בשנה" (okay, for the satisfaction of reading the translation :-)) (24 11 2008)
- + Florence Devouard : Dans les coulisses de wikipedia - 23/06/2008
- + Il y aura de la vidéo sur Wikipedia- 01 net fevrier 08
- + Pédagogie sur le CNDP (novembre 07)
- +What the future hold for Wikipedia janvier 08
- +A propos de l'avenir de Wikipedia décembre 07
- +Lire le web participatif (octobre 2007)
- + Partage avec Mme Wikipedia sur AdaOnline (juillet 2007) J'ai passé une excellente journée dans les bureaux de ADA. Une page souvenir
- + Telegraaf (Title: "To make Wikipedia accessible for the blind")
- + ZDNet and ZDNet
- + Portraits - Culture intensive Libération (03 01 2007)
- + Wikipedia : une encyclopédie sur le Net Le Monde (02 12 2006)
- + Nous souhaitons transformer Wikipedia en organisation durable (24 11 2006)
- + Wikipedia ottaa uuden suunnan (30 10 2006) did you get the title right ? The article has been nicely translated now :-))
- + Wikipedia cherche la parade contre les vandales - l'express (6 12 2005)
- + La crédibilité de Wikipedia en question l'expansion (6 12 2005)
- + Wikipedia, une encyclopédie libertaire sur le Net - Le Monde (02 09 2005)
- + Florida Trends (september 2005)
- + 24 ORE (september 2005)
- + Wikipedia ne durcira pas ses regles de publication - 01 Net (août 2005)
- + le wiki à l'école de l'information (24/06/2005)
- + Neteconomie: Les blogs et wikis autorisent ce que nous appelons le journalisme citoyen
- + cité des sciences (april 2005)
- + Les Échos : Le wiki veut libérer le travail collaboratif, article du 16 février 2005, traitant de la galaxie wiki, mais avec comme exemple phare Wikipédia. (article payant) (scan provisoire)
- + Management n° 199 (march 2005)
- + Terra Economica (with login)
- + Journal 24 heures - Suisse
- + SVM - Septembre 2004 :  et & 
- + sur 01net
- + BFM (archive) (27 nov 2004)
- + libération
- + http://wikimedia.org/media/paris_meeting_2004.ogg
- + docforum
- + Smau
- + Carrefour-education au Québec
- + Journal du Net (12 janvier 2004)
- + notiziaweb
- + Tribune de Genève
Some speeches and presentations
I try to list here some presentations I do, with the links to the documents themselves, in particular when it covers a new topic. I can not count anymore the presentations made on Wikipedia itself.
- + Wikimania talk, Alexandrina, Egypt, July 2008. Communication issues: musings of a dinosaur
- + opening ceremony of Wikimania 2008, Alexandria, Egypt, July 2008. 
- + petit déjeuner CCI Clermont Fd. "Comment se protéger des risques sociaux de la création ?"; Juillet 08
- + DEVCON 2008 - Dassault Systems - Panel sur le "Crowdsourcing". June 08
- + Lyon Infocités Lyon Game; podcast - May 08
- + Cisco - Connected Women - Mai 2008
- +Club des Entrepreneurs du 9ème, Paris, "Wikipedia : nouveau mythe, nouvelles pratiques, nouveaux Entrepreneurs", Mai 2008
- + ARDEP Auvergne - mars 2008
- + Accenture: Journée Internationale de la Femme - « Entretiens Accent sur elles » "Découvrez vos opportunités dans le monde multipolaire" (mars 2008), Blog Report sur le site d'Isabelle Juppé
- + Netexplorateur 2008 (fevrier 2008):  - Mars 2008
- + Petits Déjeuners de NetStrategy/JMC (janvier 08): Globalisation, collaboration, personnalisation - quel rôle pour le 2.0 ?
- + Efferve's sciences, dec 07 Wikipédia : point sur un projet d’encyclopédie collaborative et questions ouvertes
- + Cap Digital- Entretiens du Nouveau Monde Industriel - novembre 2007
- + Workshop Cornell. Novembre 2007, Zambia
- + Fed Française du Batiment, Batimat, Paris, 9 nov 2007
- + Séminaire « Economie du numérique dans l'enseignement", Paris, 24-25 oct 2007
- + Wikimedia Netherland Conference, 29 oct, Amsterdam
- + Education Tech Conf, Amsterdam, 13th october
- + E-learning conference, Lisbon, oct 06 ppt
- + ENSAIA, Nancy, septembre 200
- + CCI Universités, Toulouse, septembre 2007
- + Cap Gemini Universities, Paris, aout 2007
- + Wikimania 2007, Taiwan, aout 2007 
- +EBG, Paris, 20 juin
- + Paris Libre, Paris, 13 juin
- + UNESCO, Kromberg meeting, Germany, juin 2007 , 
- + Club of Rome, Bruxelles. 25 mai 2007.
- + ADA, Bruxelles, 24 mai 2007 
- + CUST, 29 mars, Clermont Ferrand
- + BNF, 15 mars 2007. "Les "Wikis": édition en question"
- + ADBGV, 13 mars 2007, Nice
- + LeadAwards, Hamburg, 28 février. 
- + LIFT 2007: rec
- + BM Lyon. 23 janvier. "à l'heure de l'Internet collaboratif, serions-nous tous des lumières?"
- +Open Mind, 24-25 oct 2006: Wikipedia : a sustainable open and free project?
- + Convention UMP : « La nouvelle frontière : la société du savoir - 4 october 2006 - 
- + World Public Forum, Dialogue of Civilizations -Presentation of Wikipedia - Rhodes 27 sept-1 oct 2006. 
- + Digital World African Conference - Wikipedia: Empowering. Abuja (Nigeria) - 12-13 sept 2006- 
- + The Geneva Forum on Health- Geneva 31 august 2006 
- + Wikimedia Foundation: Building in Diversity - Wikimania 2006. Boston, 2-5th august 2006
- + Rencontres Mondiales du Logiciel Libre - Wikinews : le libre au service de l’information - Nancy, Juillet 2006 
- + Gartner Event : Open Source 2006 - june 2006 - Panel.
- + La mondialisation du savoir : Wikipédia, un projet encyclopédique ou rubrique rubrique collection Parole en réseau.- BPI, Centre Pompidou. Paris. May 2006
- + Savoirs ouverts et production de bien communs en réseau. paris 3 décembre 2006 - pdf
- + FLOSS conference sept 2005 : Presentation of WMF and Wikiversity
- +  (Video (Wikimania august 2005) presentation : Wikimedia projects in the developing world
- + http://www.pixelache.ac/ (april 2005) : One of the presentations : Wikipedia presentation
- + TIC21, janvier 2005
- + User:Anthere/table ronde (DocForum)
I have been there for so long...
From time to time, I go read back some of the stuff I wrote last year, two years ago, three years ago, four years ago...
- /Année 2005 (my summary of year 2005)
- /retrospective (this, I wrote during the second board elections)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anthere/Values (written sometime in 2004)
- Incivility - early 2004, when I joined the mediation committee. It became a reference...
- About Cliques and Communities (CABAL stuff)
- Disarmament crisis of March 2003 (easy to date... I fled the english wikipedia. A poor place to stay at for a french at that time)
- Listening to our garden (old stuff - 2003 ?)
- Future of international Wikipedias as part of the main community -- Wikipedias and cross-fertilisation (digging... this is 2002....)
- I think of you as a center in a very large collection of inter-connected webs. The webs carry information, and you help direct it where it can create positive changes. Amgine irc 20:41, 25 Jun 2005 (UTC)
Thought : Elles ne pensent qu'à ça: séduire, pour pouvoir se reproduire.
Les plantes à fleurs, dernière grande innovation du monde végétal, manipulent les insectes, les animaux, et même les hommes, pour assurer leur dissémination.
Other contributions on meta and related topic
systemes -- Reflexions sur la bioethique -- m:WikiWomen -- m:Premier communiqué de presse de Wikimédia -- apology -- Dispute resolution -- Source of conflict -- Open and free -- User:Anthere/logos -- Biz Dev Bible -- Zambia Workshop -- PixelACHE
- Wikimania Women
- Wikipack Africa
- Communications/Resource center/Resource center development
- Press clippings/2016