Hello, welcome to my user page! My name (in case you haven't guessed it from my username) is Mike Peel. I'm a postdoctoral researcher at the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias, Tenerife; before that I was a São Paulo Research Foundation Young Investigator Fellow at the University of São Paulo, Brazil, and a postdoc at the Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, part of the University of Manchester. I work on the GroundBIRD telescope, the QUIJOTE CMB Experiment, the BINGO telescope, the Planck satellite and the C-Band All Sky Survey. My personal website is at MikePeel.net.
I have been editing the English Wikipedia since 17 March 2005. I've been an English Wikipedia administrator since 2007; I am open to recall. I co-founded Wikimedia UK in 2008, and I served on its Board of Trustees until 2013. I organised the first Wikipedia Editathon at the British Library in 2011, and I helped with the creation of the first Wikipedian in Residence. I supervised two summer students working on Wikipedia's science articles in 2014. I became a Wikimedia Commons administrator in 2018. You can find all of my on-wiki contributions at Special:CentralAuth/Mike_Peel - I have made over 200,000 edits.
I was a member of the Wikimedia Foundation's Funds Dissemination Committee. I was one of its initial members in 2012-2014, and I was elected in 2015 to serve a second term, which ended in 2017. My COI statement and pledge were at FDC Pledge and COI 2015 (previous versions are also online: 2013 pledge and COI, outdated 2013 version, 2012 version). I had a legitimate alternative account that I may use when acting in this role. I maintain a public record of my Wikimedia compensation. When I was both a trustee of WMUK and a member of the FDC I managed my conflict of interest according to my declaration of interest.
I've uploaded over 30,000 photos to Wikimedia Commons under a Creative Commons license as I enjoy seeing them used both on Wikipedia and elsewhere (both online and offline). If you're using one of my photos, then I only ask for two things: that you follow the Creative Commons license that I've released the image under (which primarily asks that you to attribute me, and that you share any derivative works under the same license); and for you to drop me a message to let me know. My photographs can be found in commons:Category:Photos by Mike Peel.
I have contributed to several articles where I have a en:WP:COI, including en:Rod Davies, en:Richard Davis (astronomer) and en:Richard Battye. I was not paid for this work (or any other editing that I do).
- English Wikipedia worklist
- Simple upload on Commons
- The template I use to upload photos to Commons
- Rockpocket's Wikipedia training guide
- Module:Wikidata - useful way of including wikidata info in infoboxes
|Awards for participation|
Working on (mostly books on William Herschel):
- s:en:Index:Memoir and correspondence of Caroline Herschel (1876).djvu
- s:en:Index:Sir William Herschel, his life and works (1881).djvu
- s:en:Index:Roman Manchester (1900) by Charles Roeder.djvu
- s:en:Index:History of Manchester (1771), Volume 1, by John Whitaker.djvu
Texts to validate:
- s:en:Index:The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy - 1729 - Volume 1.djvu
- s:en:Index:The History of the Church & Manor of Wigan part 1.djvu
- s:en:Index:Yeats Responsibilities 1916.djvu — s:en:Responsibilities
- s:en:Index:Hector Macpherson - Herschel (1919).djvu — s:en:Herschel
- s:en:Is Mars habitable?
- s:en:Index:Mars - Lowell.djvu
- s:en:Popular Science Monthly/Volume 8/April 1876/Caroline Lucretia Herschel I
- s:en:The Horseshoe Nebula in Sagittarius
- s:en:The Great Nebula in Orion
- s:en:Telescopic Research on the Nebula of Orion
Potential improvements to regex:
- "word ;" to "word;", "word :" to "word:", "word ." to "word."
- ") ;" to ");"
Future possibilities: History of Manchester:
- Volume 1: http://www.archive.org/details/historymanchest00whitgoog
- - Second edition: http://www.archive.org/details/historymanchest01whitgoog
- Volume 2: http://www.archive.org/details/historymanchest00unkngoog